by: William Carlos Williams
MORE POEMS BY WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS
- EW books of poetry will be written
- New books and unheard of manuscripts
- will come wrapped in brown paper
- and many and many a time
- the postman will bow
- and sidle down the leaf-plastered steps
- thumbing over other men's business.
- But we ran ahead of it all.
- One coming after
- could have seen her footprints
- in the wet and followed us
- among the stark chestnuts.
- Anemones sprang where she pressed
- and cresses
- stood green in the slender source--
- And new books of poetry
- will be written, leather-colored oakleaves
- many and many a time.